1. Name the processes involved in the changes of state?
2. Explain how the arrangement of atoms is different in each state. Think about the spacing and movement of the particles.
3. Plot a graph of the following data for a cooling liquid:
Time (Min) 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Temperature °C 105 95 85 81 81 81 81 80 78 76 74
Try the Easy Line Graph (Excel) or the Java bar chart (6 value limit)
· What is happening between 0 and 3 minutes?
· What is happening between 3 and 6 minutes?
· What is happening between 7 and 10 minutes?
This substance is called naphthalene (smells like mothballs).
From the graph what is its melting point?
The graph has three parts, explain what is happening in terms of particle arrangement and movement at each stage.
Sketch the shape of the graph you might expect if you heated solid naphthalene to melting point and the continued to boiling point, taking the temperature at regular intervals.